History

Since the dawn of time, in Val di Merse and in Val di Cecina, the abundance of water, game and the sprawling woods favoured the clustering of Etruscan settlements along the river's course.

In Roman times these territories were integrated into the new society through a road system that connected Rome to the conquered areas, but considering what little evidence of importation we've found, and even of fine dining vases, we may deduce that this area was scarcely populated during that period, with primarily subsistence farming.
In what documentation we have from the medieval era, mention of the Fosini castle first appeared only in 1135. That year Gualfredo, bishop's vidame of Volterra, enfeoffed Ranieri Pannocchieschi Fosini castle and court and half of the mountain and Gerfalco court, on the condition that if he built a castle on one of these, half would have to go to the church of Volterra. Fosini castle was thus built on a rocky spur on the far west end of the Poggio Ritrovoli hills at an altitude of about 639 m.
In the decades to come Fosini fell under the possession of the bishops of Volterra once again. In 1280 Guido di Monfort occupied the Fosini stronghold, but the Counts of d’Elci won it back immediately afterwards in a siege during which he met with death.
Around 1328 the castle was sold to Albizzo Tancredi, Lord of Colle val d’Elsa. May 21st, 1331, the de’ Pannocchieschi line sold it for a price of 3,000 liras to don Albizzo son of the late Scolajo de’ Tancredi (archpriest and captain of Colle). Not long after his death, with a deed dated August 18,1332, the men of Fosini surrendered themselves to the Municipality of Siena. In 1340 Count Gaddo d’Elci occupied Fosini and since then it has been part of the district of the community of Elci.
It is believed that the community of Fosini was composed of at least 250 people during this period.
In more modern times, Fosini was dominated by latifundium, with nearly inexistent road networks, cultivated landscapes, mostly sprawling and cultivated with grain, mainly covered by woodsy areas and those used for wild sedentary and transhumant grazing, the very portrait of poor areas, where feudal lords had preferred to exploit the community rather than improving its conditions.
After the formal abolition of feudalism, a new d’Elci Community, with substantial modifications and reclamation interventions (it is estimated that Fosini Castle housed 258 inhabitants in 1833) was built. The largest community dates back to the period when Fosini, with 33 farms, stretched even to Montieri and was bordered by the following estates: Pannocchieschi, Testo Serafini, Vecchioni, Bulgarini, Morando Bolognini e Pierini, dell’Agnello, Boracifera, Bartalini, Rossi Oliva nei Frati, Carboni.
Moving forward through the centuries, the estate was run according to the sharecropping formats until 1964 when the rules on farming contracts prohibited entering into new sharecropping agreements. From there on out, the phenomenon of abandonment of the Fosini estate became a nationwide phenomenon in general.
Fosini and its castle, between different events that often brought it onto the edge of the abyss, has survived exodus and abandonment since the end of the 1960s. Despite this, while elsewhere the full weight of the anthropic and degenerative impact was being felt, this place stayed the same reserve of water, animals and woods it always had been—one of rare beauty.

It is precisely due to the characteristics mentioned above that the reclamation and development of the company began in 2005 and was centred around the renovation of some farmhouses, vine growing/wine producing activities and hunting. The planting of the vineyards and the establishment of the hunting ranch evolved from a study of the environment, where the native plant species, as well as the animals, live and reproduce quite easily in their natural environment. This has made it possible to revive an agricultural enterprise, managed and run using the most innovative cultivation techniques.